Friday, September 4, 2009

Israel: A Genocidal, Killer State

In AmbroseBurnside's recent diary he quotes Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez as calling Israel a "genocidal" and "killer" state. In his poll, he asks Kossacks if they agree. As of this morning the majority, in fact, do agree.

The exact question was this:

Do you agree with Hugo Chavez that Israel is a genocidal, killer state?

51 percent voted "yes."

77 people.

The comments, not surprisingly, were particularly vitriolic, including a few of my own, but a number of people suggested that the vote was probably skewed due to animus toward Ambrose. While that may, or may not, be true, what would it say about a person that they are willing to demonize Israel merely out of dislike of a single Jew?

In any case, this is what we are up against.

Pure hatred.

UPDATE:

Volleyboy has a diary, with a similar poll, in which he is hoping to demonstrate the poll results from Abrose's diary were primarily due to Ambrose himself, rather than to ideological Israel hatred.

Here's hoping that Volleyboy is correct... even while suspecting that... well?... we shall see.

ANOTHER UPDATE:

Now that some hours have passed, Volley's numbers are as follows:

Do you agree with Hugo Chavez that Israel is a genocidal, killer state?

Yes, Chavez is right

38% 46 votes

No, Chavez is high

51% 62 votes

No, but I voted "Yes" last night because I dislike AB

10% 12 votes


So, even here, with people responding to someone as well-liked and well-respected as Volleyboy we still see nearly 40% of respondents believe that Israel is a "genocidal, killer state."

I don't know about you, but I find this absolutely revolting.

Posted by Karmafish

7 comments:

  1. You know. I actually wasn't expecting what ended up happening. I thought Chavez's comments were pretty indefensible but my G-d did the crazies show up in force.

    Probably some people voted yes in an anonymous poll just to piss me off, but a lot of others showed by their comments and uprates, that they actually do believe Israel to be a genocidal state.

    Might I suggest that someone else, perhaps you, Karma, or Paul put up a similar diary about Chavez's comments? I'd like to see the difference in reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daily Kos is the largest liberal political website on the planet.

    What can it possibly mean that a majority of those who voted think that Israel is a "genocidal, killer state"?

    We cannot blink from the implications of this.

    It clearly demonstrates that many of our so-called "allies" demonstrably hate the Jewish state.

    I do not follow right-wing sites, but I suspect that you would not see similar results on one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I said before, a lot voted yes to fuck with me. But comments like these? These are real people and their real views:

    Why won't Israel permit reporters into (3+ / 1-)

    Recommended by:
    Demena, Dr Marcos, Mathazar
    Hidden by:
    Karmafish

    Palestine? Why is information suppressed. Why are reporters shot to death? Sounds like genocide, looks like genocide, smells like genocide, could it be genocide?

    ...how come I can't tell the free world from a living hell? Ray Lamontagne

    by weltshmertz on Thu Sep 03, 2009 at 08:59:12 PM EDT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am convinced that the great majority of Jewish Americans, those who do not follow the grassroots / netroots of the Democratic party, have not a clue what is squirming just under the surface.

    When, and if, it comes to the surface, tho, things will get ugly.

    We do not have to stand for this shit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karm hits the nail on the head again and IF those American Jews or even American non-Jews ever "get it," places like dKos are doomed by their assistance and succour of such foul Jew haters.

    Gotta wonder how Dem leaders who sought out dKos over the years like this kind of company? I for one am willing to point it all out and ask them should any of them post to dKos in the future. I have been a member of dKos for years and I love the place BUT it needs to get this shit under control.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Y'know, sometimes I find it exceedingly difficult to really understand what it is that we're dealing with.

    I just had a brief exchange with Red Sox in which he said, essentially, that, well, in any community of 200,000 people there's always going to be a few nut jobs.

    When I read that I tend to think, "Well? Maybe he's right. Maybe I am making much ado about... little."

    But then when I think that a majority who responded to Ambrose's poll think that Israel is evil, that it is a "genocidal, killer state," I realize that Red Sox, tho a good guy or lady, is wrong.

    Many of us keep telling ourselves that the hatred we are seeing is fringe, but I am not so certain just how fringe.

    How fringe?

    I do not know the answer, but I definitely do not like what I am seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Red Sox is not the only person who has said this. I believed it for a long while. Disregarding AB's poll and focusing on Volleyball's, it is still disturbing that 51 people voted yes. I really do query what the results of the poll would have been if the question was about Iran or North Korea.

    In any event, even if 51 people represents a minority, should we just let it go without comment? People are fighting for the hearts and minds of other people and they are doing it with hatred and/or misinformation. If we are not there to counter it, they will continue to grow their ranks.

    Regards,

    DKW

    ReplyDelete